Lanson Champagne Le Black Label Brut NV

Medium gold color; apple, brioche on the nose; apple, lemon-lime, citrus, pineapple, white peach, minerality, almond on the palate.

Lanson Champagne Le Black Label Brut NV

Brut; lively, relatively large bubbles. Crisp, taut style. Excellent acidity. Medium body. Low malolactic fermentation, part of Lanson’s classic style to emphasize fruitiness and freshness. Blend of 50% pinot noir, 35% chardonnay, 15% pinot meunier. Total of 100 crus, 50% grand and premier. Aged four years on the lees. 12.5% ABV

Founded in 1760, Maison Lanson is one of the oldest Champagne houses. The company has held a royal warrant since 1900, making them an official supplier to the British royal family. They have been associated with The Championship, Wimbledon since 1977, and the official Champagne of the tennis tournament since 2001.

Lanson Champagne Le Black Label Brut NV

Lanson prides itself on quality grapes. The website notes: “We have strong historical partnerships with our growers who share our pursuit of excellence. These historic relationships grant us access to more than one hundred different crus, 50% of which are Grand Crus and Premier Crus. We cultivate 57 hectares of our own land, 16 of which are run according to the principles of organic and biodynamic viticulture.”

Lanson cellar master Hervé Dantan

Hervé Dantan is the cellar master. He notes that he is able to work with a wide range of crus and a rare collection of reserve wines developed with prolonged aging. Lanson vinifies according to the original principles of Champagne, including minimal malolactic fermentation. Dantan goal is to maintain Lanson’s reputation for “elegance, freshness, vitality and ability to stand the test of time.”

Lanson Champagne Le Black Label Brut NV is pleasantly complex, crisp with good, but no razor-on-the-tongue acidity, excellent fruit. Rich, delicious. Easily approachable, which cannot be said about some higher-end sparkling wines. Great balance and flavor intensity. Works well as an aperitif and toasting wine; pair with rich fish—salmon, tuna, cod; shellfish; pork. Cheese—mild, soft cheeses; brie, baby swiss, parmesan, manchego, gouda, comté. $40-50

Champagne Lanson website

US importer website

Lanson vineyard
Lanson cellar master Hervé Dantan checking riddling